Friday, April 9, 2010

Interview: The Soft Pack's Matt Lamkin`

1. How has the name change affected the band’s progression?

It probably threw a wrench in the gears & a lot of people got annoyed by it, or something like that, that wanted us to keep that name. That’s probably the only thing it did, there’s a bit of a backlash against us. Maybe we lost some fans, but whatever. It was something that we wanted to do, so we went with it.

2. Since moving to LA, what is it like to now play in San Diego?

It’s good. I mean San Diego has always been good. Of course, there are people who think we are, once again, selling out by moving to Los Angeles. But anyone that knows us - I studied film in San Diego so that’s why I moved to Los Angeles because that’s the only place I can work and I don’t think Los Angeles was integral in any success that we have had. It is still good when we play San Diego and it’s good when we play Los Angeles. It’s like we have two hometowns at this point, but we’re definitely a San Diego band for life.

3. Who do you secretly rip off on stage?

I’d say I secretly rip off Mark E. Smith, Jonathan Richman and I try to do John Lennon – maybe some Paul Westerberg.

4. Why hasn’t The Soft Pack recorded for a label twice?

Basically The Muslims songs were all recorded at one time and split up into EPs. So, that’s how that went. And then they were complied on the 1928 one with the bullet holes and then we got signed to Kemado.

5. Do you see future releases on Kemado?

Yeah, hopefully.

6. What’s in your stereo right now?

I have been listening to Ween and a lot of Leonard Cohen. He’s like the best shit in the world. I could listen to Leonard Cohen albums over and over and over again, like back to back. If we’re on a long drive, I might do any given album like three times in a row, but I guess any given album is stretching it because I’ve only gotten up to, chronologically, I’m Your Man, which is 1988, I think. I haven’t gotten to the ’90s and that stuff yet, but I’m sure it is all good. That guy is fucking genius.

7. What is the best story of the tour so far?

I don’t know – there hasn’t been very much that has been very eventful. We try and keep it low key. We try and pace ourselves because we probably have a tendency to party hard. That’s not our thing, but it’s a good way to blow off steam when you’re on tour or when you’re bored. So we’ve been conscious of pacing ourselves. So this has actually been a low key tour, but I’m sure there is something I can give you that’s funny. We got pulled over because we have dents in our van and there was some cop who asked, ‘What have you guys been doing’? Apparently there was some hit-and-run by some van that was just like ours. We were just peeing in a parking lot and this cop came up and wouldn’t let us go and, well I guess that’s not very eventful.

8. What are The Soft Pack’s plans for the rest of the year?

Looks like, after this tour, we’ll take a month or two off. We have some new material kicking around. We’re really excited about the next one, so we’ll work on that. And then I think another North American tour in the fall. Maybe, if we’re lucky, some festivals in the summer. We are doing Coachella, which is awesome because we are from southern California. We are hoping for that or maybe some stuff in England and Europe so keep an ear out for that, but nothing is confirmed except for Coachella.

Published by The Music Slut

No comments:

Post a Comment